Family Memories....
Day 33
When I was young nanny made a lot of my clothes. She loved to sew! When she was growing up her parents didn't have a lot of money, so her mom made a lot their clothing too. Nanny had a sister a year older than her and she always got her hand-me-downs. Nanny's mom would go pick out new buttons, take off the old buttons and place the new ones on, so my gram would have a special new touch. She thought this was special.
When I was growing up my parents didn't have much money either and my parents couldn't shop at the expensive shops. I had to get my clothes at discount stores or my Gram made them. I loved all my clothes that she made me! What I didn't like is that once I started school all the kids teased me because I wore handmade clothes...this really hurt my feelings. I continued to wear them and just tried to ignore the kids. Today, something like this wouldn't bother me but when your young and sensitive it's a little different.
Year later my mom surprised me with a quilt she made out of all the dresses that Nanny made me over the years...a very special gift.
Here are a few pictures of some of the dresses she made and my beautiful quilt my mom made me.
![]() |
| Me |
![]() |
| Me |
![]() |
| Me |
![]() |
| Me |
![]() |
| Me and daddy |
![]() |
| Me |
![]() |
| Quilt made out of my dresses. |







It's funny that kids gave you a hard time about your homemade dresses but you got to wear something Nanny made and that was 1,000,000 times better than their made-in-wherever stuff... and they were oblivious to this idea! Kids are......kids.
ReplyDelete