Wednesday, July 24, 2013


 Family Memories....

Day 4


Today, I am going to tell you a little bit about my grandma.

When John and started having children my grandparents names changed to Nanny and Buddy Boy. They were awesome people. I always wanted to be just like my grandma. She was the most kind and loving person. She would help anyone if she could. 

She was amazing with my kids. I'm not sure how she ended up with such an amazing personality. Her mom died when she was a young child and she grew up in an orphanage. Her father was very abusive to her mother. Beat her very badly and the night before she died, she had a bad beating and she gave birth to a still born baby (Douglas) she hemorrhaged. Really, very sad. She sounds like she was a sweet women too. Anyway, CPS wouldn't let her dad have the kids. They were all separated. She married my grandpa at age 16 years old.

My Gram was one of the most kind, loving people I have ever known. She had such a big heart and I honestly don't think anyone ever met Nanny and didn't fall in love with her. She never had a cross word to say. She absolutely saw the best in everyone. She would give her last dollar to stranger if she thought it would help them. 

She was like a mom to me, since my uncle and I were only 11 months apart, I spent a great deal of time with my grandparents. I even went on vacations with them. I talked to nanny on the phone daily, even after we moved out of state.

She loved being a great-grandmother and was amazing with my kiddos. Going to my grandparents was so exciting for them. Her love was contagious. She would let the kids play and have fun. She didn't care about fingerprints or a mess. As a matter of fact, she would leave the finger prints for a few days because she said they would make her smile. She knew the kiddos had been there and had fun. How many people would do this? 

She would let the kids pick flowers, play I love you, I love you not, with them, let them dig in her garden, finger paint in her living room and most of the time was right there doing it with them. 

I remember just before she passed away I wanted to talk to her and let her know how much I loved her and let her know what an important part of my life she was. I remember her saying you were just like one of my own children and I love you. I treasure our last conversation. It is forever in my heart. She was a beautiful person inside and out! 

My greatest compliment is when people say "you are so much like nanny" I just beam!


Amanda

Me and Gram

Amanda

Nanny and Thomas

Amanda

Johnathon

Amanda

Me, Buddy Boy, Nanny, Thomas, Timothy, Johnathon and Amanda

Nanny and Amanda

Johnathon, Thomas and Amanda

Nanny and Amanda

Gram and me

Nanny and Buddy Boy

Nanny and Buddy Boy

Nanny

Nanny

Nanny

2 comments:

  1. Nanny always had a big smile and gave her happiness to everyone. Those are some really special memories.

    ReplyDelete